Thursday, September 16, 2010

Patience

Wow. I have been up for five hours already. It might be because I slept so much yesterday... Or it could be the cup of coffee that I decided to drink with my mom at 4:30am. Or you know, a combination of the two.

I had a consultation with a podiatrist (foot doctor) this past Tuesday. He took a look at my x-rays and we talked about my options. There were two that were presented to me: I could spend 6 weeks in a cast, then we could see where I am from there and either need surgery then or be in a walking boot for 4 weeks. Or. I could just get the surgery now. Be in a splint for 2 weeks. And then be in a walking boot for 4 weeks. I chose option B. Yesterday morning at 11am I had surgery and I now have a permanent screw in my foot. It is a lot bigger then I thought it would be. But it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Thank you Darvocet.

What's so funny to me about all this is that about a month ago my brother was playing softball and broke his foot. I gave him a hard time about helping him out all the time and saying that once he was in his walking boot that I was done getting everything for him all the time.... Oh payback. The thing is... I can tell if its more of a "nanana boo boo" to me, or to him. Like "Oh hey Kyle... now its your turn to do everything for me". Or "Oh hey Danni.... now you know how much it sucks being like this." I'm pretty sure its the latter of the two.
And well...
It's kind of crazy.
Sunday morning (pre-break) I was thinking about a few things and seriously just being like "Okay, I wish things were like this... and I can't wait for this and that... I wish I could fast forward a few more months... and blah blah blah blah blah" And then I stopped and thought "Dear God, teach me patience." This is an odd way to learn it. But it certainly gets the job done. I need to learn patience in reference to time... and in reference to those around me. I often get frustrated when I have to "wait around" for other people. It's one of those things where I seriously have to stop myself and rethink the situation.
But oh man... I'll tell you what I AM excited for.
1) Today my sister Tonna is coming over and my cousin Jordan. I haven't just hung out with my sister when she hasn't had her kids around... since they were born! Talk about crazy. And I can get some help with the laundry maybe :)
I took for granted a lot of things that I did when I have both feet working and well... arms that are available to me. You really can't carry much if you are crutching it up everywhere. I avoid using stairs as much as possible because it takes forever and the crutches are awkward and well... lets just say that I'm not the most coordinated person. Crutches are quite possibly the devil, but also a great way to build/tone arm muscles FAST.
2) I've been wanting to make a scrapbook of college. Mainly the trips, but some times in between too. And I can finally sit down and relax and work on it. And maybe get a trip in to hobby lobby to get some supplies for it :)
3) Reading. I've never read Wuthering Heights before. It's one of my mom's favorites. So maybe I will pick it up... although... it is upstairs. We will see. And The Count of Monte Cristo. I have started that book numerous times and still haven't finished it. I get bored with it... so maybe this time I'll finish it.

Time to nap
The meds are kicking in :)

1 comment:

  1. If you are in need of a good classic that will take up a LOT of your time, try Anna Karinina. I've been working on it on and off for a year, and am curretly half way through.

    ReplyDelete